"You live but once; you might as well be amusing." - Coco Chanel


Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Skills I learned from Hillsdale that I won't need after Graduation

As my graduation quickly approaches, I have been evaluating what I will need to take with me upon Graduation. Hillsdale has formed me into the person that I am and I know that many lessons that I have learned here will follow me throughout my life. Other skills, however, will become obsolete in May. Here is my list:

1. Finding a reliable source protein in Saga

My freshman year, I realized that because of Saga I had basically become a vegetarian. Now as a wise senior, I have learned the game. You have to hunt for protein. Finding some sort of meat, yogurt, or bean will fill you up and make sure that you aren't iron deficient. In the real world, I do not foresee this as an issue.

My hunt for protein.


2. Ice skating to my car

Hillsdale maintenance is understaffed. I get that. I don't blame them for the horrible weather we have had this semester. But I will not miss unshoveled sidewalks, parking lots, and walkways. I have fallen down at least 10 times this semester. Hopefully, D.C. takes better care of its streets.



3. Abiding by visiting hours

I liked visiting hours freshman year. I honestly did. It was nice just to have girl time and not worry about walking around in your short pjs. As a senior in the Suites, however, visiting hours are the pits. Once and a while, it would be nice if my boyfriend could stay in my suite after midnight to keep me awake while writing a paper. But no, at promptly 11:55 I kick the kid out.



4. Moving every 6 months

I've gotten really good at moving. I know how to use UPS home pick-up. I can easily throw away clothes. I don't get attached to places. I cannot wait to end my four years as a nomad and settle down somewhere. And get a cat. All I want is a cat. Literally, I can finally be happy if I have a cat.



5. Censoring myself

I can't write posts about people making out. I can't say bad words without offending half the population. I have to be super careful about what I admit to online. I am thankful that Hillsdale had made me more sensitive to my word choices, but I cannot wait to have a little more freedom.



6. Driving on one-lane highways back from the airport

I DESPISE THE 127. What idiot thought that making that a one-lane highway was a good idea? Nonetheless, I can now drive the route from the airport in an hour and a half flat. I can also pass like a boss.



7. Online shopping

With the lack of places to fill my shopping habit, I am forced to go online. I am the queen of online coupons, flash sales, and browsing. I am also the queen of blowing all my money on stupid stuff I don't need. I cannot wait to live near a mall.



8. Buying the perfect amount of alcohol to drink at a party because I can't take it home

All you off campus people don't have to deal with this. But living in the Suites, I cannot store alcohol in my room. So I either have to risk leaving it at one of my friend's houses and having it drank or finishing it while I am out.



9. Working on an assignment for a different class in my current class

There is only so much time in the day. Sometimes, multitasking is necessary. For instance, sometimes I look for jobs when I get bored in class. I hope that post-graduation life affords me time to both check the front page of Reddit and to get all my work done.



10. Enduring snow in March

Please, dearest heavenly father, don't let me EVER AGAIN live in a place with as bad of weather as Hillsdale. There is only so much Vitamin D supplements and a happy light can do for this California girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment