"You live but once; you might as well be amusing." - Coco Chanel


Monday, September 28, 2015

An Open Letter to my Dad

Dear Dad, 

     Today is your 52nd birthday. The big 5-2. Right now, you are on a plane about to embark on a pilgrimage to the Holy Lands and I am unbelievably jealous as I sit in my cubicle, debating what to eat for dinner. But in all reality, that's not the reason I'm writing this letter. This is my thank you letter to you. Thanks for the 23 years that you have taken care of me, loved me and been a fantastic father. 
     You told me yesterday that wisdom consists of knowledge and experiences. You can learn something, but only when you go out and do it can you truly understand it. While I think this is true (and quite wise) I think you missed something. To be wise, one must also learn from the people around them. So here's what I've learned from you in the past 23 years.

1. Be Passionate
    Whether it's cars, tools or your job, you never do anything halfheartedly. You thought we should have a playroom, you built it. You dreamed of a classic Porsche your entire life, you saved and bought one (despite your first daughter's unending complaints about it). You want to keep your business afloat despite a financial crisis, you work hard and did it. I've never seen you groan or bellyache about getting things done and that's quite a rare quality. 


2. Read the Classics
    When we were small, every night you would read us some of the "Book of Virtues." Looking back on it, I'm sure you were exhausted from a day at work and we were probably restless and never ready for bed. But that didn't stop you of course. Since the time that we could read, you brought home books for us and you still send me them in the mail. Without you encouraging me to read, I never would have gone to Hillsdale and who knows where I would be now? But in all reality, you gave me a better gift than Hillsdale: You inspired in me the love of the written word. And for that I am entirely grateful. 


3. Forgive Easily and Without a Grudge
    Ugh, how do you do this? I'm still working on it. You told me one time that you just forget about the things people have done. But I think in reality you have a huge heart and this just comes naturally for you.


4. Love Your Siblings
    I have fond memories as a little girl of sitting in your lap and watching you and your brothers and sisters have a ball of a time. I know that your relationships never were and are not perfect, but I admire your ability to love them fully and become friends as the years have gone by.


5. Take Care of Your Car
    This one was sort of lost on me. But since now I don't need a car and if I ever do in the future I intend to have a guy around, I think that's all right. But A for effort for trying to make me care.


6. Surround Yourself with People Who are Smarter Than You
    "Successful people don't surround themselves with minions, Emily," you told me when I was probably about 7 years old. "People who are smarter than you raise you up and push you to work harder." So 7-year-old me probably didn't understand this (though I became friends with Ashley and Elena so clearly I got some of it). I definitely get this now. Lots of people have said this, but it proves to me your humility and your desire to learn. Plus you just have really good taste (take marrying mom for example).



7. Go to Church on Sundays
"And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
  Could this better sum up you and my mother's relationship with God? I submit that it could not. As I have grown up, I've realized that you and mom have provided me with a beautiful example of devotion to God in every day life. So thanks for saving my soul.


8. Be Kind
    If anyone has every met you dad, my bet is that the first word they would use to describe you would be kind. Then probably, "and he has a really red nose." But first and foremost kind.


9. Invest in People
    You never give up on anyone. But because I'm writing this letter, thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for forgiving me for parking in front of your car, for yelling at you when you tried to wake me up, for not getting you my flight details. But thank you more for believing in my and being my cheerleader when I needed it most. Whenever I talk to you, I know I can do anything.


10. Never Stop Trying to be a Better Person
    Despite everything that you have gone through, everything that having three kids, two cats, a wife and a company has thrown at you, you've never stopped trying to better yourself. And isn't that the most important lesson? But you truly embody it. You admit your mistakes, apologize and then figure out what to learn from the experience. 



    I know you aren't perfect, and you never pretend to be, but that makes you an even better dad. You're not a god, you're a regular dude, who's just trying to figure it out like the rest of us. But it's in that humanity that I love you the most. It's embarrassing now, because I'm tearing up at my desk, but I really love you. I can't imagine life without you and I am blessed beyond measure to be your daughter. 

    So enjoy your trip, buy me a present and don't get blown up by ISIS. 

Love, 
Fishy




1 comment:

  1. Emmaline, This is a wonderful tribute to your Dad. He's a great guy indeed. And you have become a very entertaining and insightful writer BTW!

    ReplyDelete