"You live but once; you might as well be amusing." - Coco Chanel


Thursday, November 21, 2013

Living in the Hillsdale WHIP House is basically like living in a third world country

The College has graciously provided all students at WHIP with lovely accommodations. By no fault of theirs, the house is horribly old (1890 I think). This means that things break CONSTANTLY. For instance, last week I was showering and I got out and realized that the curtain over our window had fallen down. I looked at the rod and it turned out to be nothing more than a wooden plank wedged in the window. Brilliant. Lucky for me, the neighbors across the street are gay men.

Anyway, here is my list:

Living in the WHIP house is basically like living in a third world country because:

1.     Six people live in one house. Yes six. It’s basically criminal.


2.     Our basement could be featured in a horror movie. Cobwebs and creepy shadows abound.



3.     As poor college students, we are constantly on the verge of starvation. A string cheese and cookies for dinner? Don’t mind if I do.



4.     We have mice. Everywhere. Sometimes I will sit downstairs with my headphones on, watching some trashy lifetime movie, and in the silence, the mice feel free to come out. They scurry and I just sit paralyzed with horror.



5.     Often our hot water breaks. I tried to shower in cold water one morning. After .3 seconds I jumped out and screamed out every bad word I knew.



6.     We have a patio in the front with no furniture. My boyfriend found me a stool, missing a leg that I sit on whilst having a cigarette. That’s why I keep him around.



7.     My apartment is two stories with a beautiful, wooden winding staircase in the middle. One morning, I walked downstairs in socks to make coffee and I slid down the last four steps. I now have a stair shaped bruise on my butt. Living in our apartment is basically life threatening. 




8.     One out of our 4 burners on the stove in broken. It’s just burned and looks dead.



9.     We didn’t have electricity or running water in our downstairs for four days.









No comments:

Post a Comment